Late episode this week... but early episode this month! It's the Labor Day holiday weekend, so we wanted to post a longer episode to keep people company during all the BBQs and road trips.
This month, the book we're reading is the Locus-award winning Ninefox Gambit, by Yoon Ha Lee. We also have a wonderful guest. Ellie Bartels is a strategy & war game designer, and has long been book club pals with Adrian & Matt.
In this episode we discuss military science fiction, how science fiction and fantasy interact with each other, education game design, math, gender politics in the miliary & science fiction, and inter-departmental bureaucratic conflict. It is a really fun episode, and we have to leave some of the best parts for the spoiler discussion in a few weeks.
Some of the works we mention & discuss include:
- The Ancillary Series by Anne Lieckie
- Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey
- CJ Cherryh
- Shards of Honor and Barrayar (collectively refered to as Cordelia's Honor) by Lois McMaster Bujold
- Honor Harrington by David Weber et al.
- Blindsight by Peter Watts
- Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolf
- Unavoidably, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
- And last but not least, "Instruments of Destruction", the short Star Wars fanfiction about project managing the Death Star
We'd love to hear from you, either by chatting with us on twitter at @spectologypod, sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or submitting the episode to r/printSF on reddit. We'll reply, and shout you out in the next podcast when we talk about your comment.
And if you like the episode, subscribe at spectology.com or whever you listen to podcasts, and share it with your friends!