23.1: The Ghost Network pre-read w/ Ben Roswell: Experimental Narratives, Storytelling Games, and Postmodern Literature
New month, new book, new guest! This week we welcome Ben Roswell (@roswellwrites on Twitter) to discuss The Ghost Network by Catie Disabato (https://amzn.to/2uXSeA2). The novel takes the form of a fictitious non-fiction book about the disappearance of a young pop star & her entourage who tries to find her amongst hidden underground spaces in Chicago.
In this episode, we discuss other experimental narratives, from role-playing games to postmodern novels like House of Leaves or Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.
Works mentioned (as always, links at spectology.com if they don't show up for you, and all Amazon links are affliates):
* Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Suzanna Clarke
* House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
* Fire on the Velvet Horizon by Patrick Stuart & Scrap Princess
* Hardboiled Wonderland & the End of the World by Haruki Murakami
* Fight Truck (the unplayable? LARP)
* Especially Heinous: 272 Views of Law & Order SVU by Carmen Maria Machado
If I missed anything, tweet @spectologypod and I'll drum up the link for you.
As always, we'd love to hear from you! Chat with us on twitter at @spectologypod, send us an email at email@example.com, or submit the episode to r/printSF on reddit. We'll reply, and shout you out in the next podcast when we talk about your comment.
And if you like the episode, subscribe at spectology.com or whever you listen to podcasts, and share it with your friends!